- CALL Emergency Response Telephone Number on Shipping Paper first. If Shipping Paper not available or no answer, refer to appropriate telephone number listed on the inside back cover.
- As an immediate precautionary measure, isolate spill or leak area for at least 25 meters (75 feet) in all directions.
- Keep unauthorized personnel away.
- Stay upwind, uphill and/or upstream.
- Identify the substance involved
- Wear respiratory protection, such as fit-tested N95 respirator (at minimum), powered air purifying respirator (PAPR), or positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
- Wear full coverage body protection (e.g., Tyvek suit), faceshield, and disposable fluid-resistant gloves (e.g., latex or nitrile).
- Wear appropriate footwear; disposable shoe covers can be worn to protect against contamination.
- Puncture- and cut-resistant gloves should be worn over fluid-resistant gloves if sharp objects (e.g., broken glass, needles) are present.
- Wear insulated gloves (e.g. cryo gloves) over fluid-resistant gloves when handling dry ice (UN1845).
- Decontaminate protective clothing and personal protective equipment (PPE) after use and before cleaning or disposal with an appropriate chemical disinfectant (e.g., 10% solution of bleach, equivalent to 0.5% sodium hypochlorite) or through a validated decontamination technology (e.g., autoclave) or process.
- Structural firefighters' protective clothing will only provide limited protection.
In Canada, an Emergency Response Assistance Plan (ERAP) may be required for this product. Please consult the shipping document and/or the ERAP Program Section