The Toll Collection Subsystem provides the capability for vehicle operators to pay tolls without stopping their vehicles using locally determined pricing structures and includes the capability to implement various variable road pricing policies. Each transaction is accompanied by feedback to the customer indicating the general status of the customer account. A record of the transactions is provided to the Toll Administration Subsystem for reconciliation and so that the customer can periodically receive a detailed record of the transactions.
The primary security consideration for the Toll Collection Subsystem relates to the financial information collected in the field that is sent to the Toll Administration Subsystem, and to any personal information associated with the financial transactions. Electronic toll payment needs to have a relatively high degree of confidentiality in order to safeguard the information. Additional security sensitivity is for the personal information associated with electronic accounts. In addition, it is important that the information is available from the Toll Collection subsystem to the Toll Administration subsystem in order to ensure that tolls are properly accounted for. The integrity of the information is also important to consider in order to prevent disruption of toll fee collection operations.
Functionality: Equipment Packages and PSpecs
Inputs/Outputs: Architecture Flows and Data Flows
- toll advisories - Alerts and advisories provided to toll plazas to keep toll operators informed of identified threats that may impact toll operations or public safety on a toll facility.
- toll instructions - Information provided to configure and support toll plaza operations including toll pricing information.
Toll Collection > Driver
- roadside transaction status - The status of an electronic payment transaction provided directly to the driver via sign or other roadside infrastructure.
Toll Collection > Vehicle
- vehicle payment request - Request for information supporting toll and parking payments.
- vehicle payment update - Data written to vehicle equipment to support electronic toll collection or parking payment.
- toll operator requests - User input from the toll operator to request information at the toll collection site.
Vehicle > Toll Collection
- vehicle payment information - Information provided for payment of tolls and parking fees including identification that can be used to identify the payment account or source and related vehicle and service information that are used to determine the type and price of service requested.
- vehicle characteristics - The physical or visible characteristics of an individual vehicle that can be measured to classify a vehicle and imaged to uniquely identify a vehicle.